Great Moments in Knitting History
I was rereading Elizabeth Zimmerman's Knitting Without Tears when I came upon this quote
Some people pick up the stitches with the needle, and then knit them off. I think that this is because the term "pick up" has misled them.
Ummmm, what? You aren't supposed to pick up stitches along a gusset?
Or say a button band? You're supposed to pull wool through them? Holy Mother of God! So many needless nights of my prolific cursing bursting forth! Wool pulled so tightly it nearly breaks! White knuckled moments followed by a bout of severe potty mouth! Followed by mass consumption of peeps!
I was doing it wrong. This is almost as momentous as the time I discovered you weave in the loose ends with a tapestry needle instead of a crochet hook. Stop giggling, Mom!
For those that read my last entry, I decided goth was so 10 years ago and promptly wove in the ends. I may redo the button bands
a third timeagain now that I know how to do it properly. This photo was taken mere moments before I blocked Rogue. I was surprised that the color bled a little as I was washing it. But it did soften up the Cascade 220, and the stitches plumped out too. I used the spin feature on my washing machine after hand washing in woolite and rinsing well. Then I laid it out carefully on my homemade blocking board, pulling and tugging to get it to its desired shaped. I hope it dries fast!
I used the same process with Klaralund. I found the yarn took on an odd odor after washing. I placed a dryer sheet on top of it for an hour. when I checked in on it all I could smell was dryer sheet so I assume it worked. The spinning process stretched out the upper portion more than I liked, so I put on my fearless hat and followed in the footsteps of the Knitting Wench. I threw it in the dryer for a few minutes. The sleeves shortened and the sweater seemed to keep its overall dimensions.
PS Any and All Peeps in a 10 mile radius have mysteriously disappeared. The police have no suspects.
- "tilli tomas" "fickle knitter design" "one skein shawl"
- fickle knitter design TNNA Columbus 2011 Book Yarn Knitting Patterns Lace
- fickleknitter 2010 pattern publishing shows
- fickleknitter artyarns zenyarngarden teresaruch tillitomas
- fickleknitter blog maintenance
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design chameleon colorworks triangle shawl new pattern
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design limestone honeypot fleurdelise
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design stakling notebook
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design stitches west driving 2011
- Fickleknitter fickle knitter design stitches west knitting patterns
- fickleknitter grief
- fickleknitter knitcircus
- fickleknitter knitcircus issue 12 sweet georgia
- fickleknitter NYC taxi
- fickleknitter pattern writing knitting
- fickleknitter photos
- fickleknitter ravelry unwind yarn burbank knitting patterns guest artis
- fickleknitter spinning knitting dyeing tina newton stephanie mcphee blue moon fiber arts yarn harlot
- fickleknitter stitch markers 5elementkntr knitifacts butterflysm
- fickleknitter teresa ruch scarf rocky mountaing dyeworks chameleon colorworks handspun
- fickleknitter tinyhappy rockymountaindyeworks teresaruch
- fickleknitter tivoli rhinebeck fabulousyarn
- knitcircus contest fickleknitter 14 pattern collection
- Yarn Shops