Icelandic Sweater and Knitting
The sweater is a hybrid of Elizabeth Zimmermann's Icelandic Yoke Sweater (knitted as described in The Opinionated Knitter) up to the yoke and the charts and finishing from Istex's Hela Sweater. I found that the EZ collar decreases were frustrating, and the Hela collar didn't decrease enough. So I decreased more in the ribbing and used a hem to prevent rolling.
I'm pleased with the results although knitting with three color changes in one row is a little fussy for my taste. I do love the drape of the Istex Lite Lopi, and I finally got why EZ always said "break wool" instead of cut wool in her patterns, because you can easily pull the lopi apart.
On a completely unrelated topic I'd like to share something I've been thinking about for some time, the different way we knit. Continental, English, Combined, really it all is irrelevant in the end (barring what some people consider mistakes such as twisted stitches).
With that in mind I'd like to share some video clips of different knitters.
I'll go first. My knitting style was heavily influenced by Susan Gordon Lydon, and technique by EZ. I knit very loosely, usually requiring three or more needle sizes below the recommendation.
I loop the yarn over the needle for stitches rather than making an exaggerated throwing motion. Overall I try to minimize my movements as much as possible.
Next up is my blogless college friend, Cathy. She is a leftie and knits from the right needle to the left instead of the usual left to right. I'm fascinated and curious to see how her style will develop as she continues on her knitting journey.
Irish College Knitting is in the clip below, it's a fairly famous clip of the Yarn Harlot herself, and I find myself mesmerized by her knitting and that she can knit with a crowd around her.
It's said that the cottage knitting was developed by people who knit for their livelhood, and based on the knitting speed Stephanie employs I believe it.
And finally just for fun here's a clip of a Knitting Speed Contest.
These knitters don't mess around.
- "tilli tomas" "fickle knitter design" "one skein shawl"
- fickle knitter design TNNA Columbus 2011 Book Yarn Knitting Patterns Lace
- fickleknitter 2010 pattern publishing shows
- fickleknitter artyarns zenyarngarden teresaruch tillitomas
- fickleknitter blog maintenance
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design chameleon colorworks triangle shawl new pattern
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design limestone honeypot fleurdelise
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design stakling notebook
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design stitches west driving 2011
- Fickleknitter fickle knitter design stitches west knitting patterns
- fickleknitter grief
- fickleknitter knitcircus
- fickleknitter knitcircus issue 12 sweet georgia
- fickleknitter NYC taxi
- fickleknitter pattern writing knitting
- fickleknitter photos
- fickleknitter ravelry unwind yarn burbank knitting patterns guest artis
- fickleknitter spinning knitting dyeing tina newton stephanie mcphee blue moon fiber arts yarn harlot
- fickleknitter stitch markers 5elementkntr knitifacts butterflysm
- fickleknitter teresa ruch scarf rocky mountaing dyeworks chameleon colorworks handspun
- fickleknitter tinyhappy rockymountaindyeworks teresaruch
- fickleknitter tivoli rhinebeck fabulousyarn
- knitcircus contest fickleknitter 14 pattern collection
- Yarn Shops