I am so tired of reading about copyright. Particularly from those whose application of copyright is so full of fervor that we'll all have no books to read nor music to listen to because the pages and notes have been copyrighted by some previous pendant. I found the ideas in Fahrenheit 451 utterly horrifying, but if we keep up this irrationality of copyright going that's where we're headed.
An example? Newton and Leibniz developed Calculus notation at the same time, but in different locations. Newton didn't get all indigent and prevent future physicists from using F=ma did he? Imagine our world if he kept his intellectual property to himself, because he was concerned someone would violate his copyright. (I would like to reserve some special sentiment for the inventor of Statistical Mechanics, very similar words as "Thank You" however the first word varies a little with time). After four years of rigorous and exhaustive work to become a degreed physicist, and five as a graduate student I can personally attest to the beauty of mathematics and nature. And I'm glad I can share my knowledge and that that knowledge was shared with me without infringing on the intellectual heavy hitters. I surely didn't have money to pay their heirs royalties for that education.
I get so pissed off when I read people stating as fact that one mustn't gather ideas from other knitting. For years before patterns were widely available knitting was passed down through practice. Shall we return to those European countries in our time machine and sue the second person who knit a shetland lace sampler? Or an icelandic sweater? Or knit in the round? Let's not loose valuable techniques because we're consumed about paranoia about violating copyright. I am in no way advocating outright theft. When you write a pattern, document it with photographs and publish it is your copyrighted property. Do not steal that which belongs to others. But at the same time don't be a tyrant with ideas. We all live with the Collective Unconscious just like Newton and Leibniz.
Be conservative in what you do; be liberal in what you accept from others
- "tilli tomas" "fickle knitter design" "one skein shawl"
- fickle knitter design TNNA Columbus 2011 Book Yarn Knitting Patterns Lace
- fickleknitter 2010 pattern publishing shows
- fickleknitter artyarns zenyarngarden teresaruch tillitomas
- fickleknitter blog maintenance
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design chameleon colorworks triangle shawl new pattern
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design limestone honeypot fleurdelise
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design stakling notebook
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design stitches west driving 2011
- Fickleknitter fickle knitter design stitches west knitting patterns
- fickleknitter grief
- fickleknitter knitcircus
- fickleknitter knitcircus issue 12 sweet georgia
- fickleknitter NYC taxi
- fickleknitter pattern writing knitting
- fickleknitter photos
- fickleknitter ravelry unwind yarn burbank knitting patterns guest artis
- fickleknitter spinning knitting dyeing tina newton stephanie mcphee blue moon fiber arts yarn harlot
- fickleknitter stitch markers 5elementkntr knitifacts butterflysm
- fickleknitter teresa ruch scarf rocky mountaing dyeworks chameleon colorworks handspun
- fickleknitter tinyhappy rockymountaindyeworks teresaruch
- fickleknitter tivoli rhinebeck fabulousyarn
- knitcircus contest fickleknitter 14 pattern collection
- Yarn Shops