Our generations have a burden of responsibility that comes simply by existing. We must acknowledge and respect the past as it falls behind us.
Finding the individual parts of a whole event so completely intertwined was unexpected.
It started with a twilight reception aboard the USS Missouri in Pearl Harbor.
It was a tipsy, fancy-free night of free Mai Tais, walks along the three football field long teak deck and a catered event with locals strumming and singing the words of Marvin Gaye, "What's going on."
There's too many of you crying
Brother, Brother, Brother,
There's too many of you dying
Although in retrospect the song was a prelude of what was to come.
The ship signified the strength and power of the whole. Military strength, Service, Power all showcased on the side of valor and victory. It also signified endings, the close of a great war, the end of such staggering loss of life, and triumph over enemies.
What a difference a few hundred yards of water makes.
If the Mighty Mo illuminates the victory of many than it becomes clear that the US Arizona represents individual loss.
Sometimes change comes just over the horizon catching us off guard and unprepared, like a sudden summer storm.
And the consequences reverberate through time. It's hard to comprehend that the clear and gleaming blue waters contain so much loss.
It is difficult to perceive that overwhelming defeat could be moored so close to victory.
And that the USS Arizona still weeps over it's dead today, the reeky smell of diesel fuel is a tangible, physical result of events that occurred Sixty-seven years ago.
Visiting the US Arizona Memorial becomes one of those solemn, powerful, life altering events that stay with you forever in your bones.
I can't begin to imagine the loss experienced by the parents of the 17, 18, and 19 year old children, whose Eleven hundred and seventy-seven bodies are entombed within the Arizona. That kind of sacrifice can't be quantified in mere words.
But I am thankful.
- "tilli tomas" "fickle knitter design" "one skein shawl"
- fickle knitter design TNNA Columbus 2011 Book Yarn Knitting Patterns Lace
- fickleknitter 2010 pattern publishing shows
- fickleknitter artyarns zenyarngarden teresaruch tillitomas
- fickleknitter blog maintenance
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design chameleon colorworks triangle shawl new pattern
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design limestone honeypot fleurdelise
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design stakling notebook
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design stitches west driving 2011
- Fickleknitter fickle knitter design stitches west knitting patterns
- fickleknitter grief
- fickleknitter knitcircus
- fickleknitter knitcircus issue 12 sweet georgia
- fickleknitter NYC taxi
- fickleknitter pattern writing knitting
- fickleknitter photos
- fickleknitter ravelry unwind yarn burbank knitting patterns guest artis
- fickleknitter spinning knitting dyeing tina newton stephanie mcphee blue moon fiber arts yarn harlot
- fickleknitter stitch markers 5elementkntr knitifacts butterflysm
- fickleknitter teresa ruch scarf rocky mountaing dyeworks chameleon colorworks handspun
- fickleknitter tinyhappy rockymountaindyeworks teresaruch
- fickleknitter tivoli rhinebeck fabulousyarn
- knitcircus contest fickleknitter 14 pattern collection
- Yarn Shops