Life after Lace Knitting?
It's amazing what we can accomplish with our own two hands, a
bad stubborn attitude and little bits of time. It's my opinion that being well behaved has no place in knitting. Sort of like the quote about Well behaved Women rarely make history. You have to take the time to knit, and put your energy into creating things despite or in spite of what others think. If you've knit for any length of time you've heard the dreaded You must be crazy or You have entirely too much time on your hands. But take the time anyway, it's yours to take already isn't it? Even if only a precious moment here and there. It eventually adds up into something substantial.
This my favorite hand knit of the many that has come off of my needles over the years, Spanish Peacock Shawl as found in Meg Swansen's A Gathering of Lace. It was worked one stitch at at time using almost 2,000 yards of wool-silk and finished when Maya was four months old. I took that time to finish in the in between moments. And I'm so glad because now I connect that shawl with Maya's wee babyhood, which was all too short.
Not only am I bowled over by it's beauty but an interview by Meg about the book was the beginning of my designing career.
KBTH: What does the serious knitter do after lace knitting?
MEG: Is there an After-Lace-Knitting? If so, the answer may be: design.
These two simple sentences gave me the courage to put out my Fickleknitter shingle. Luckily my freak flag was already flying.
Here's a little glimpse into my life after lace knitting.
Thankfully I'm still not well behaved.
- "tilli tomas" "fickle knitter design" "one skein shawl"
- fickle knitter design TNNA Columbus 2011 Book Yarn Knitting Patterns Lace
- fickleknitter 2010 pattern publishing shows
- fickleknitter artyarns zenyarngarden teresaruch tillitomas
- fickleknitter blog maintenance
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design chameleon colorworks triangle shawl new pattern
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design limestone honeypot fleurdelise
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design stakling notebook
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design stitches west driving 2011
- Fickleknitter fickle knitter design stitches west knitting patterns
- fickleknitter grief
- fickleknitter knitcircus
- fickleknitter knitcircus issue 12 sweet georgia
- fickleknitter NYC taxi
- fickleknitter pattern writing knitting
- fickleknitter photos
- fickleknitter ravelry unwind yarn burbank knitting patterns guest artis
- fickleknitter spinning knitting dyeing tina newton stephanie mcphee blue moon fiber arts yarn harlot
- fickleknitter stitch markers 5elementkntr knitifacts butterflysm
- fickleknitter teresa ruch scarf rocky mountaing dyeworks chameleon colorworks handspun
- fickleknitter tinyhappy rockymountaindyeworks teresaruch
- fickleknitter tivoli rhinebeck fabulousyarn
- knitcircus contest fickleknitter 14 pattern collection
- Yarn Shops