Why Knitting is Magic Reason Number 125
The first time I met Anne in person was at Sock Summit in 2010. I realized immediately she has a rich sense of humor and uses colorful language (she certainly puts the "F" in colorful). Also she had on a recycled, upcycled, downcycled Afghani nursing necklace and I nursed Maya until she could say "I'd like some Milk now please Mother" while wearing kitchy acrylic hand knit items in public.
I was wearing a tin hat.
I ask you, how could this strange confluence of events turn into something? When Anne said she'd like to send me some yarn made from Baby Alpaca, Silk, and Cashmere wrought from angel's tears and unicorn horns how could I say no? When the yarn arrived I locked myself alone for three days of intense swatching. When I came out my house was a shambles and no one had eaten anything that didn't come out of a take out box but my job was done. I'd devised a plan for the Tree and Arbor shawl with boobles nee bobbles, double yarn overs, and an all around pleasing diamond design. This one is for you Anne. Send more Cashmere.
I've discovered that becoming a parent is just like being a Cruise Director only with less shuffleboard and more poop. I've been barely hanging on during the week of gnashing of teeth and rivers of tears aka No Pre School. During this difficult time I've decided to tape record me yelling the same phrases that I shout 172 times each day to save myself the time and energy. Things like "No Running on the Couch," "Stop buggering the dog," "Eat! There are kids who have never been offered pizza because it's not organic and made from the flapping of butterfly wings and shipped to Whole Foods in a fleet of prize Priuses!"
So anyway I went to meet Laura and her little Pixie to let the kids run around until the maniacs exhausted themselves into pliable children. And by pliable I mean "will be bribed with ice cream." So while we were out I pulled out my portable magnet chart (Exhibit A above). Laura looked at my sad, crumpled pattern and laughed because shortly therefter the kids absconded with my magnets and I was dropping stitches and losing my place all while trying to manage the chaos that is children without the shackles of school.
After the meeting of the minds Laura went home to her fabuloso workshop filled with happy fabric and created a pattern holder made entirely of win. There is no crumpled paper, it has an official pattern magnet, and is covered with hedgies. Now the children can play with my sad old magnets and I will still knit like the wind. A very, very slow wind. Link to a gnome miPattern Pattern Saver here.
Thank you Sandra Singh
For Sookie, Bill, Sam, and Eric
So much campy vamps.
So little (child free) time.
- "tilli tomas" "fickle knitter design" "one skein shawl"
- fickle knitter design TNNA Columbus 2011 Book Yarn Knitting Patterns Lace
- fickleknitter 2010 pattern publishing shows
- fickleknitter artyarns zenyarngarden teresaruch tillitomas
- fickleknitter blog maintenance
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design chameleon colorworks triangle shawl new pattern
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design limestone honeypot fleurdelise
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design stakling notebook
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design stitches west driving 2011
- Fickleknitter fickle knitter design stitches west knitting patterns
- fickleknitter grief
- fickleknitter knitcircus
- fickleknitter knitcircus issue 12 sweet georgia
- fickleknitter NYC taxi
- fickleknitter pattern writing knitting
- fickleknitter photos
- fickleknitter ravelry unwind yarn burbank knitting patterns guest artis
- fickleknitter spinning knitting dyeing tina newton stephanie mcphee blue moon fiber arts yarn harlot
- fickleknitter stitch markers 5elementkntr knitifacts butterflysm
- fickleknitter teresa ruch scarf rocky mountaing dyeworks chameleon colorworks handspun
- fickleknitter tinyhappy rockymountaindyeworks teresaruch
- fickleknitter tivoli rhinebeck fabulousyarn
- knitcircus contest fickleknitter 14 pattern collection
- Yarn Shops