Crap, Bloglines is closing! A simple How To on importing your knit blog feeds to Flock
I was saddened and very surprised to read this week that Bloglines will be shutting it's doors October 1st. I've been using bloglines for as long as I've been blogging (Circa 2004). After pissing and moaning on twitter and generally feeling sorry for myself I decided to take action before all my precious blog links disappear.
Google reader is nice but I like Flock better. Flock is a slick blog aggregator that integrates social media like twitter and facebook into one browsing platform. The best part? It's free. I struggled for a few days trying to figure out how to add my feeds to Flock so I decided to make a tutorial for all those other bloggers who will be losing their web feeds when bloglines goes bust. Click each image to zoom. Enjoy and happy browsing!
Step 1: Exporting your bloglines feeds
Click on "export subscriptions" in the bottom left corner of your bloglines feeds and save file. It is an opml extension. This is also the extension Flock uses for importing.
Step 2: Download the Flock browser Go to http://www.flock.com and click the "Download new flock" button and accept the terms of service. Flock browser will prompt you to run the exe file to install your new browser. When installation is complete start flock.
Step 3: Edit Your Groups
Click "Edit Your Groups" on the drop down menu in the right hand sidebar.
Step 4: Import .opml Feed
Click "Import Feeds", then "browse" both located on the top right hand side of your browser. Then select "export.opml" in the folder where you downloaded the file from bloglines.
It will take some time for the feeds to be uploaded to your new flock browser. In the meantime why not knit a fickleknitter knitting pattern from the pattern shop to keep your hands occupied? Each pattern purchase helps keep the lights on and a steady flow of yarn in my hands so I can create new patterns and tutorials just like this one!
Next, want to add a new blog feed to your Flock Browser?
Step 1: Type (or copy) the web address into the address bar.
Step 2: Click on the green RSS box.
It's located on the far right hand side of the flock browser web address bar. There may be more than one feed available, such as ATOM, RSS1, RSS2, etc. Pick one. A new tab will open up.
Step 3: Subscribe to the blog feed.
Select the subscribe button and the feed will be added automatically to your flock browser subscriptions.
That's it! After following the instructions in this easy tutorial you will have a new home for your knitting blog feeds and a cool browser that will keep you up to date on all your social media outlets.
- "tilli tomas" "fickle knitter design" "one skein shawl"
- fickle knitter design TNNA Columbus 2011 Book Yarn Knitting Patterns Lace
- fickleknitter 2010 pattern publishing shows
- fickleknitter artyarns zenyarngarden teresaruch tillitomas
- fickleknitter blog maintenance
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design chameleon colorworks triangle shawl new pattern
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design limestone honeypot fleurdelise
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design stakling notebook
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design stitches west driving 2011
- Fickleknitter fickle knitter design stitches west knitting patterns
- fickleknitter grief
- fickleknitter knitcircus
- fickleknitter knitcircus issue 12 sweet georgia
- fickleknitter NYC taxi
- fickleknitter pattern writing knitting
- fickleknitter photos
- fickleknitter ravelry unwind yarn burbank knitting patterns guest artis
- fickleknitter spinning knitting dyeing tina newton stephanie mcphee blue moon fiber arts yarn harlot
- fickleknitter stitch markers 5elementkntr knitifacts butterflysm
- fickleknitter teresa ruch scarf rocky mountaing dyeworks chameleon colorworks handspun
- fickleknitter tinyhappy rockymountaindyeworks teresaruch
- fickleknitter tivoli rhinebeck fabulousyarn
- knitcircus contest fickleknitter 14 pattern collection
- Yarn Shops