Sponsoring the Knitcircus Newsletter & A Contest
In an effort to put my money where my mouth is in regard to supporting women owned knitting businesses, Fickle Knitter Design has become a sponsor of the Knitcircus Newsletter. The Knitcircus Newsletter is chock full of knitting content, with Jaala Spiro as the Systems Engineer in Chief (I made that title up just now but I feel like it addresses all that needs to be done to bring you the newsletter each week) and also Owner and Operator of the publication. Recently Knitcircus changed focus from an online magazine to a Newsletter and Book Publishing format. Jaala has found her voice as a pattern writer and delivers quality content that you can trust each week. I'm proud to act as a sponsor for Jaala's efforts and you can view the first edition that includes a Fickle Knitter Design ad here.
The Knitcircus Newsletter addresses weekly topics such as:
- The Garter Tab Cast On Photo Tutorial
- Short Row Heel Photo Tutorial
- Brownies and Blondies (Gluten Free) Recipe
- Short Rows Three Ways with Amy Detjen
- Indie Dyer And Designer Katie Franceschi
Jaala generously agreed to sit down for an interview this week and I hope you enjoy the results below. See the bottom of this post for information on how to win a copy of Knitting Recipes: Hats and Cowls!
How long have you been owner and operator of Knitcircus?
Knitcircus began when a friend and I decided to let go of the literary
magazine we'd been publishing, and turn to something a little more fun, and
less intense. It's been five years (?!) since the first issue, which was
printed on paper and hand-bound with yarn. It's just kept growing since
then; we went online with Issue #9 and grew to 26 patterns and 4 articles by
Issue #16, with more than 200 thousand viewers.
How has your vision for your company changed since its inception?
At first it was just for fun, then it gathered speed and became a real business, with multiple staff members, professional graphic design, and patterns from all over North America and Europe. Issue #16 marked the last magazine, and we've rolled with the economic punches to re-focus as a weekly newsletter, with articles, interviews and techniques that is free each week.
This last change has let me start publishing books of my own designs; Knitting
Recipes: Hats and Cowls will be out this August! Designing is a lot of
work, but my satisfaction levels have shot through the roof. I didn't
realize I'd been holding back all of these pattern ideas while I was editing
Another new project this year has been the Knitcircus Podcast: Amy Detjen,
the amazing knitting teacher and author of Knitting with Two Colors (along
with Meg Swansen) graciously agreed to co-host, so we get together and crack
each other up every two weeks. Well, mostly she cracks me up, because she's
brilliant and funny and knows everything about knitting.
What's something unique or fun about your company that people don't know?
Being self-employed is the best when your kids are in school and you get to
go work at The Sow's Ear yarn and coffee shop. That's when it all pays off.
And I've got more books up my sleeve. Watch for some Best of Knitcircus collections coming this fall!
--Jaala Spiro, Owner of Knitcircus
Visit the Knitcircus Blog for a chance to win a copy of Knitting Recipes: Hats and Cowls by Jaala Spiro, good through Monday, May 21st, 2012.
- "tilli tomas" "fickle knitter design" "one skein shawl"
- fickle knitter design TNNA Columbus 2011 Book Yarn Knitting Patterns Lace
- fickleknitter 2010 pattern publishing shows
- fickleknitter artyarns zenyarngarden teresaruch tillitomas
- fickleknitter blog maintenance
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design chameleon colorworks triangle shawl new pattern
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design limestone honeypot fleurdelise
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design stakling notebook
- fickleknitter fickle knitter design stitches west driving 2011
- Fickleknitter fickle knitter design stitches west knitting patterns
- fickleknitter grief
- fickleknitter knitcircus
- fickleknitter knitcircus issue 12 sweet georgia
- fickleknitter NYC taxi
- fickleknitter pattern writing knitting
- fickleknitter photos
- fickleknitter ravelry unwind yarn burbank knitting patterns guest artis
- fickleknitter spinning knitting dyeing tina newton stephanie mcphee blue moon fiber arts yarn harlot
- fickleknitter stitch markers 5elementkntr knitifacts butterflysm
- fickleknitter teresa ruch scarf rocky mountaing dyeworks chameleon colorworks handspun
- fickleknitter tinyhappy rockymountaindyeworks teresaruch
- fickleknitter tivoli rhinebeck fabulousyarn
- knitcircus contest fickleknitter 14 pattern collection
- Yarn Shops